Thursday, June 17, 2010

First full day in Siena

Today has been an orientation day so far. We had a tour of the main spots of the city that we'll need to know (like where classes are, the library, the grocery store, the best place to get gelato!, etc.). The streets wind about in a lot of different directions, so it seems confusing now, but I at least have a better sense of where I am going. As long as I know where the Piazza del Campo is, I can get most places! Everything in Italy is so laid back, and I've really liked getting to know everyone too. For lunch, a few of us got paninis and ate in the Piazza del Campo. We then had a few hour break for some naps/relaxation time before more orientation meetings. I put some photographs up around my room and took advantage of the time for a "pisolino" (nap). In between meetings, we went to Kopa Kabana Gelateria, the place the locals go for gelato! It was very tasty, and I got the World Cup flavor (chocolate, banana, caramel). The World Cup isn't as big of a deal as I expected, but that is mainly because the Palio is coming up in a few weeks. The Palio is Siena's horse race where the contradas compete against each other. The contradas are the neighborhoods of Siena, and literally every conversation with Siena locals ends up talking about their contrada or the Palio. There are 17 contradas but only 10 run at each race, one in July and one in August. There is a lot of pride associated with contradas and rivalries! My “family” is a part of the Drago (Dragon) contrada, and it’s a big deal right now, because they are racing in July’s race. Every weekend there are big dinners and parties in each contrada and parades every Sunday leading up to the race. Come the Palio week/weekend, I’ll have a lot more information on it!

Around 7, we went to Barche in Piazza Matteotti Glacomo, for appetizers and fruit drinks (the colors of the Italian flag) with the CET group (the program I am going through). It was beautiful sitting outside, since the weather is nice now – in the seventy’s in the day and high sixty’s at night. Ana Rose and I came back to Stella’s and met one of her friends after dinner. They spoke in all Italian, and I could pick up on a few things, but Ana Rose acted as the translator! I’m excited to start Italian classes next week so I can begin practicing. Although the classes are in all Italian (even at the beginning level so it will probably be intimidating at first). Some of us are meeting the Piazza del Campo now for vino, so ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment