Thursday, July 29, 2010

Non credo e’ la fine

As my title suggests, I can’t believe it’s the end to my time here in Siena. I haven’t written much this past week because I’ve been busy studying for my finals. It’s a bummer having to study during my last week in Italia, but I finished up strong – and now have officially completed my undergrad! To sum up my week, in Italian class on Tuesday, Marco had a fun day planned for us. We played charades with new vocabulary words, did crossword puzzles, and wrote out scenarios for famous people, which the others then had to guess who it was. Tuesday was also my last Sienese Art and Architecture class because Wednesday was our final. After the final, however, we had our free gelato day! Also on Wednesday, Elena wanted a picture of us with Marco. Before the picture could be taken, though, he insisted on putting his contacts in and pampering himself for ten minutes, and then he made us take the picture outside because the lighting was better! Wednesday night was our last dinner with Stella too, since tonight we have our final CET dinner at a pizzeria. She made us her fabulous ragu pasta with eggplant. This morning was my written final and my two orals for Italian, and Marco was proud of how much I’ve improved over my time here. When I returned, Stella had prepared a wonderful lunch for us to celebrate!

As my time in Italy comes to an end, I’ve been reflecting on my time here and the Italian culture. I’ve grown to truly appreciate the lateness of Italian dinners. At first, waiting until 8 or 8:30pm to eat was quite a challenge, and my stomach would be grumbling by 6:30. But now I enjoy having the last activity of my day being in community over a wonderful Italian meal. I love Italy’s concept of “slow food,” savoring flavors and taking time to enjoy each other’s company during meals, rather than scarfing down food and getting on with your own agenda, as happens so frequently in America. Instead, their days end by spending time with those they’re closest to. And of course, the food itself is one of the most memorable experiences, since so much of Italian life revolves around their meals, whether it’s the fresh bread in the morning, a coffee break with your professors, gelato with friends, or a big pasta dinner with family. I think Siena is my favorite place that I’ve visited in Italy, probably partly because of the natural attachment from calling someplace your home, but also for its history, quaintness, and community. It’s such a warm, friendly place, where you frequently pass friends on the street, where the owners of your favorite café know your regular order and ask how you’re doing, where I’m not afraid to practice my broken Italian because the Sienese people are so encouraging… I love walking Siena’s cobblestone streets, winding down the small alleyways and suddenly entering the huge Piazza del Campo. The history of the Piazza and the biannual Palio are so interesting, and sitting in the Piazza taking in the scenery and all of its people makes me think back to how many centuries of people have done just this same thing. Similarly, I will miss running around the Fortezza, seeing incredible views of the Chianti countryside and its mountains or turning a corner and suddenly Siena’s Duomo stands tall. I can almost imagine life in Siena’s medieval times, looking out upon its Gothic architecture. Most of all, however, I will miss Stella and her presence as a grandmotherly figure during my time here. I’ll miss coming home from class and sitting with her in the kitchen, as she prepares tonight’s meal, and practicing my Italian with her or getting her excited about the connection between Latin and Italian. I’ll miss meeting her family when they come for lunch or dinner and having her “oh” and “awe” over our latest pictures from our travels. Yet, not only will I take home over 25 recipes that she’s taught us, but I know we’ll keep in touch, just as she has with all of her students that she’s hosted. I’m sure that when I return to Italy some day, I’ll find myself back at “home” with her…

Well, I’ve rambled for too long and need to get packing and finish up last minute to-dos before our dinner tonight. I’ll be sure to post pictures of our Italian class soon and write about our last night in Siena before I head to Florence tomorrow, for my final day in Italy. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment